Using Directories, Reports and Profiles
In this tutorial you will learn how to create and use directories, reports and profiles.
To save time you will open an existing chart.
1. Click the File tab and select Open to display the Open project dialog box.
2. Select the file Tutorial3.opx, and click Open.
Note: If the My Charts directory is not shown, click on the My Documents icon on the left side of the dialog box and then double-click on the My Charts folder.
Working with Directories
First you have to create a directory.
3. Click the View tab and select Directory from the Panels section.
4. Click on the link . The Directory Settings dialog box is displayed.
Note: For this tutorial you are going to use the default Directory formatting.
5. Type Contact Info into the Directory name field.
6. By default all fields are included when a new directory is created. In this exercise you are going to create a directory that does not include salary and employee type information. Select Salary and click Remove. Then select Worker Category and click Remove.
7. Click OK.
You can use a directory to display chart information in a tabular format.
8. Click the Select tool .
9. Select the box containing Lynn Brewer.
The Directory panel displays a directory containing Lynn Brewer and all her subordinates. Click other boxes in the chart to dynamically update the directory.
Editing Chart Contents using the Directory
You can edit chart data using the directory.
10. Select the box containing Chris Philips. Notice that the corresponding directory entry is selected.
11. Now locate the row in the directory containing Tom Wilson. Click on the cell containing Tom Wilson, and type Sue Watkins.
Notice that the corresponding box in the chart is also changed.
Working with Reports
The following exercises will show you how to create reports.
12. Click on the link . The Report Settings dialog box is displayed.
13. Type Salary Report into the Report name field.
14. From the Available Fields list, select Name and click the Add button.
15. Select Title and click the Add button.
16. Select Salary and click the Add button.
17. Select the Report Summary tab and then select the Salary checkbox. This will add a salary total to your report.
18. Click OK.
You can now create a dynamic report based by selecting boxes.
19. Select the box containing Becci Seuberling. The Salary Report for Becci’s team appears in the Reports panel. Click other boxes in the chart to see other dynamic reports.
Exporting Report Data
You can export a report to a spreadsheet.
20. Select the box containing Becci Seuberling and then click the Export to Excel button.
An Excel spreadsheet is created, which includes the report information.
Working with Profiles
The following exercises show you how to create and display a profile.
21. Click the View tab and select Profile from the Panels section.
22. Click on the link . The Profile Settings dialog box is displayed.
23. Type Employee Detail into the Profile Name field.
24. Select Salary and click Remove.
25. Select Worker Category and click Remove.
26. Click OK.
This exercise shows how to display additional information about a selected box using the profile you just created.
27. Select any box in the chart. Notice that the Profile panel displays employee detail for that box.
Congratulations! You have completed Tutorial 3.