Consolidating multiple charts
Some organizations may want to combine multiple OrgPlus organizational charts into a single chart. One common scenario is that each division within a company is responsible for maintaining their own organizational chart using OrgPlus. Using the consolidation feature in OrgPlus Professional, each division’s chart can be combined into a single master chart.
There are two main tasks when consolidating charts:
- Create an OrgTree file: An OrgTree file is used to combine two or more charts into a single chart. The OrgTree is an organizational chart of org units (or departments). You must create an OrgTree file in order to combine two or more charts.
- Combine two or more charts: Once the OrgTree file is created, you must map an OrgPlus (.opx) file to each box in the OrgTree file. The files must be located in the same directory or the OrgTree must contain an absolute path reference to each underlying chart. Although not required, you will get the best results if each file uses the same naming convention for all fields (for example Name versus Employee_Name).
To create an OrgTree File:
- Click the File tab and select New.
- Click to select the Blank project option, and click OK.
- Create a chart with a hierarchy that reflects how you want to display your consolidated charts.
- In the first field of each box enter the name of each OrgUnit (department). In our example below, we are consolidating four charts: Executive, Engineering, Sales, and Administration.
Note: Optionally, you can create a field called OrgUnit instead of using the first field.
- Click the File tab and select Save As.
- Name the file (for example, OrgTree) and click Save.
To combine the charts:
- Make sure that all OrgPlus files are located in the same directory and that each file name corresponds to a box in the OrgTree file.
- Click the Data tab and select Consolidation from the Tools section.
The Consolidation dialog is displayed.
- Use the Browse… button in OrgTree file area to select the OrgTree file.
- Use the Browse… button in Chart directory area to select the directory containing the chart files.
- Use the checkboxes to select chart options:
- Insert sub-charts breaks: By default sub-chart breaks are automatically inserted based the OrgTree file. Uncheck “Insert sub-charts breaks” if you do not want sub-chart breaks inserted into your chart.
- Ignore fields not in the first file: By default, any fields that are not defined in the first file (the top of your OrgTree) are excluded. To include fields defined in files other than the first file, uncheck the “Ignore Fields not in the first file” checkbox.
- Use first file as template: Check this box to apply the first chart’s layout and design to the new consolidated chart.
- Match records using field: Check this box to designate a field as the primary key for matching records that appear in more than one chart. For example, if an employee record appears in more than one of the charts that you are consolidating, it is possible that the fields of that record differ from one chart to another. By selecting this checkbox and entering a field name, such as EMPLOYEE_ID, you can ensure that the consolidated chart does not contain duplicate boxes.
- Click OK.
- Save the resulting chart by selecting Save As from the File tab.
- Use Data Refresh to update your chart whenever one of the underlying charts changes.
Note: By default any fields that are not defined in the first file (the top of your OrgTree) are excluded. To include fields defined in files other than the first file, uncheck the “Ignore Fields not in the first file” checkbox.